Chūnin Exams Arc
Shikamaru and Temari first met during the Chuunin Exams, where they were paired to fight against each other. Shikamaru had no interest in fighting, but the aggressive Temari forced him to fight her. Temari noted that he was a skilled strategist during their fight. After a lengthy battle, Shikamaru forfeited even though he had her almost defeated, leaving Temari.
Sasuke Recovery Mission Arc
Temari was sent by the Sand Village to save Shikamaru during his battle with Tayuya. After Tayuya was defeated, Shikamaru commented on her Temari's, "scary yet beautiful" smile.
Temari then accompanied Shikamaru to a hospital in Konoha, where they discussed how a shinobi should approach missions. During their conversation, Temari notes how emotional Shikamaru is around her.
Later, When Shikamaru saw the Sand Siblings off, Temari teased him about crying in front of her, while he referred to her as troublesome. Despite their teasing words, both smiled.
Kazekage Rescue Mission Arc
Shikamaru and Temari arrived at the Hokage's office together, as Shikamaru was Temari's escort. Later, as they walked through the village, Naruto asked if they were on a date, which the two denied.
Before Temari returned to Suna, Shikamaru woke up early to see her off, something that surprised Temari, given his usual laziness. As they were leaving, Temari tells Shikamaru he is very talented and should soon achieve the rank of jonin. This caused Shikamaru to become embarrassed and look away.
Fourth Shinobi World War: Confrontation Arc
Shikamaru and Temari were assigned to the same division with Shikamaru as Gaara's proxy commander. Temari would remind Shikamaru to take his job as commander seriously, and also not to let down his father, whom she respected.
Fourth Shinobi World War: Climax Arc
Shikamaru tells everyone to pay attention and be prepared, that even if small their power might be useful at some point and could even change change the future. Upon hearing his message, Temari smiles and thinks to herself that Shikamaru would be a good Hokage.
Birth of the Ten-Tails' Jinchūriki Arc
When stuck in the Infinite Tsuyukomi genjutsu, Shikamaru dreams of both Asuma and his father, Shikaku, being alive. In his dream, Temari is by his side. While watching the other two couples both fighting and in bliss, Shikamaru says that marriage is "too troublesome" while Temari agrees. The original Japanese sentence gives out a different connotation. In the Japanese version of Shikamaru's line, it is implied that Shikamaru is unsure as to whether marriage is too troublesome.
Blank Period Arc:
Shikamaru Hiden: A Cloud Drifting in Silent Darkness
When Shikamaru starts acting strangely, Temari confronts him about it. Shikamaru lies to Temari about his mission, not wanting to involve her in a dangerous matter. However, Temari becomes upset that Shikamaru would not confide in her since she believed they had an extremely close relationship. In a fit of hurt anger, she punches Shikamaru and runs off in tears, leaving a guilt-ridden Shikamaru.
Back in the Sand Village, Temari receives permission from Gaara to personally investigate Shikamaru's mission, as she suspects him to be in danger. She soon discovers that Shikamaru is on a dangerous mission to assassinate the leader of the Land of Silence after he captured a number of high-ranking shinobi, including Sai.
Temari gathers a team of Suna shinobi to aide Shikamaru in his mission. She and her team arrive just in time, as the Land of Silence's leader, Gengo,was just about to kill the captured Shikamaru. She uses her wind jutsu to knock Shikamaru away from Gengo and to break him from the genjutsu. Seeing Temari ignites something inside of Shikamaru as he realizes that he loves Temari and wants to live to protect her.
Gengo believes that Temari's appearance strengthened Shikamaru's resolve. Together, along with Ino and Choiji, they defeat Gengo and his army. After his arrest and the mission has ended, Shikamaru asks Temari on a date. She repeats his catch phrase, " How troublesome " and accepts. The two begin dating.
The novels ends with the couple now married and the birth of their son.
Sakura Hiden: Thoughts of Love, Riding Upon a Spring Breeze
Ino and Sakura talk about how their friends are beginning to find love. Ino tells Sakura that Shikamaru and Temari are always together and she can tell they are in love. Sakura doesn't find this surprising.
Konoha Hiden: The Perfect Day for a Wedding
Shikamaru decides to get Naruto and Hinata romantic honeymoon trip for their wedding. Shikamaru is happy with his decision but will need a woman's input to help him plan something suitable. While going around Konoha with Chōji, after lunch they keep an eye out for Ino Yamanaka to get her opinion, but they run into Temari instead. Though Temari is indeed a woman, Shikamaru doesn't believe she has the right personality to advise him on this. Chōji nevertheless forces him to ask her anyway, but from the way he poses the question Temari believes he is asking her to help plan their own honeymoon. Temari is embarrassed and Shikamaru, not realising the confusion, believes he's offended her. Chōji excuses himself for reasons of hunger and Shikamaru tries to do the same, but Temari stops him and agrees to tour the Konoha Hot Springs' district with him.
Evening descends and Shikamaru and Temari walk around in the soft lighting of the hot springs. Temari remains quiet and strange the whole time, so Shikamaru suggests they go to a shop so the trip isn't wasted. Temari points out some target-throwing booths where numerous couples are trying to win prizes. Shikamaru ends up winning two small trinkets in his determination to figure out the booths' scam, which he gives to Temari. Although Shikamaru feels embarrassed by their size, and wishes he could haven gotten something much better for her, Temari says they are perfect. Afterwards he takes her to an inn, hoping she can tell him if Hinata would like it. Temari, who is flustered that Shikamaru is moving so fast with their relationship, suspects he has sexual intentions and declines, believing she won't refuse him if they go inside. Shikamaru puts his hands on her face, worried she's sick because of how red it is, causing her to run away. He chases after her, desperately needing her (opinion). When she stops he assures her how important she is to him, explaining that he, as a man, can't evaluate the inn's services for women.
Temari is confused once again and Shikamaru is confused by her confusion. He repeats that he wants to give Naruto and Hinata a nice honeymoon and, now that he says it, he realizes what Temari thought he meant earlier. Temari is put at ease and Shikamaru smiles from the misunderstanding. The two then spend the rest of the evening together.
Gaara Hiden: A Sandstorm Mirage
Shikamaru and Temari are getting ready for their wedding. Because Temari is a sibling of the Kazekage and Shikamaru is an influential figure in Konoha, their marriage is a delicate political matter that will solidify peace between their two villages. In the midst of careful consideration, Temari and Shikamaru are trying to find a date for their wedding that will appease both sides.
The fact that their children will be raised in Konoha, but will have the Kazekage bloodline and therefore would be in line to be Suna's next Kazekages, is what makes the Suna elders arrange a marriage for Gaara.
The Last: Naruto the Movie:
In the ending credit, Shikamaru and Temari attends Naruto and Hinata's wedding. Shikamaru and Temari can be seen standing next to each other, facing each other.
Years later, Shikamaru and Temari are married and revealed to have a son named Shikadai Nara. As Temari is staying at home accompanying Gaara and Kankuro's visit, Shikamaru is in the Hokage headquarters working with Naruto. When Shikadai comes home, Temari is unsatisfied by Shikadai's informal greeting to Gaara and scolds Shikadai for his unsatisfactory greeting.
In episode 3 when Temari heard about Shikadai being a part of some students who was punished for causing commotion, she scolds him. When Shikamaru learned about Shikadai's school news, he views it as a part for becoming a Shinobi. Temari was annoyed by this attitude, deciding to deprive both of them dinner for the night.
Byakuya Gang Arc
When Shikamaru returns to home, he said that he want to eat dinner with his family causing Temari to blush. Shikadai asks his father to teach him a new tactics in the shōgi game, Shikamaru gets carried away, angering Temari when he ignores her call for dinner.
- Temari broadly smiled at Shikamaru after she defeated Tayuya.
- Despite her usual tough demeanor, Temari has a tendency to show a softer nature around Shikamaru.
- Temari showed concern for Shikamaru when they were at hospital after he failed his mission.
- Shikamaru and Temari were specifically reintroduced together at the beggining of Naruto Shippūden.
- Naruto thought Shikamaru and Temari were on a date, a scene very similar to another one where Kakashi thought Asuma and Kurenai were on a date.
- Temari thinks highly of Shikamaru's intelligence, to the point she believed he would be a good Hokage.
- While complaining to his father about how much he hated women, Shikaku told Shikamaru that even the roughest woman is tender to the man she loves, leading Shikamaru to think about how his father is always bossed around by his mother.
- Later, after she rescues him from Tayuya, Shikamaru thinks that Temari is scarier than his own mother, indirectly equating his relationship with Temari to Shikaku's relationship with Yoshino. 
- In Shikamaru Hiden, Shikamaru says Temari's smile 'cleared the darkness from his heart'.
- Shikamaru was shown dreaming of Temari standing by his side in the Infinite Tsukuyomi.
- It is revealed in the final chapter that Shikamaru and Temari are married and have a son named Shikadai Nara.
Shikamaru to Temari before their match - Chapter 106:
- "It really doesn't matter to me if I ever become a chunin or not, but I guess I shouldn't let myself get beaten by a female, so let's do it."
Shikamaru to himself during his match with Temari - Chapter 107:
- "Oh, man.. Those clouds are so lucky.. So free.. More to the point, I didn't feel like doing this in the first place.. And I only became a ninja because I thought life would've been more interesting as one.. I suppose things aren't gonna be that simple."
Temari about Shikamaru - Chapter 641:
- "Shikamaru.. You could become a Good Hokage.."
Databook 4 (Temari's Profile)
- "This talented woman who can’t be close to everyone, in the midst of fierce fighting she sees in Shikamaru a disposition worthy of the next era’s foundation, and decides to make a new ninja world together with him."
Among the Fans
ShikaTema is one of the most popular couples in the fandom. It usually places very high in fan polls. It is supported because of the chemistry between the characters as well as the many hints throughout the series. It is a rival couple to ShikaIno.
- In Otakon Convention, Shikamaru's English dubbed actor, Tom Gibis, and Temari's voice actress, Tara Platt, imagine how Shikamaru would propose to Temari.
- In a non-canon Naruto SD spin off, in Rock Lee's dreaming about Shikamaru and Temari are married recently and having two kids, a boy and girl who look like Shikamaru and Temari. However, a boy was actually an early appearance of their son, Shikadai, before he made a canon debut.
- ShikaTema on Tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/shikatema
- The Shikamaru x Temari Fanclub