Chūnin Exam Arc
In the beginning of the Chūnin Exams, Naruto's opinion on Hinata was that she was "weird" and "timid," explaining that whenever he was near her, she would always stutter and blush.
During the written exams, Hinata sees Naruto struggling to complete his test. She offered her own test as a cheating source, but before he responded to her, Naruto pondered if her offer was a trick set by Kiba Inuzuka, her teammate. Realizing Hinata would never do something like that, Naruto nearly agrees, though he does ask her why she would let him cheat off her paper.
In reply, Hinata shyly states that it would be nice for all of the nine rookie ninja to stay together. Naruto smiled, and was about to cheat off her test, only to stop himself at the last moment, as he saw the instructor watching him. Finally, Naruto decided not to cheat off her paper, and told Hinata the reason for him refusing was not only would he get in trouble, but she would as well. Blushing, Hinata thinks to herself, "He does care."
During the second phase of the Chūnin Exams, Hinata signs the paper that Anko Mitarashi, their proctor, had told them to sign, alone by herself in the back. Seeing her, Naruto asks Hinata why she is by herself. Replying she was fine, Hinata sees a cut on Naruto's face. Wanting to give Naruto her healing ointment, she starts to dig in her pocket. However, before she can hand the item to Naruto, he leaves.
After Naruto and Kiba's fight during the preliminary matches, Hinata attempts again to give him some of her ointment. She almost fails, due to Naruto not knowing what she was holding, but Kurenai Yuhi aids Hinata, explaining what the ointment was for. Accepting the ointment, Naruto smiles, thanking Hinata.
When Hinata's turn to fight comes, she is matched against Neji Hyuga, her cousin. Though she is discouraged by Kiba and advised to back down from the match, Hinata refuses to do so. Hinata is quickly put down by Neji who continually calls her worthless and tells her that she will always be unable to change herself. However, Naruto shows obvious disagreement and shouts in Hinata's defense. Telling Neji that Hinata will change during their fight, Naruto tells Hinata to defeat Neji. Hinata silently thanks Naruto in her thoughts and the match begins. While observing the match, and seeing Hinata refuse to admit defeat after being dealt a hard blow, Naruto comments that Hinata was tough. Rock Lee comments that Hinata was a lot like him. Sakura Haruno echoes this statement, mentioning to Naruto that Hinata was always watching him. Throughout the match, Naruto cheers for Hinata. As Hinata is brutally injured by Neji, Naruto solemnly recalls her previous statement of wishing to change herself.
After Hinata is beaten, she lays on the floor, due to Neji's internal hits. Yelling her name, Naruto rushes to her side. Looking at Naruto, Hinata asks him, in her thoughts, if she changed even a little before soon passing out, being carried away and taken to the hospital. With Hinata's blood still on the ground, Naruto grabs some of it, holds it out to Neji and vows to defeat him in her place.
Naruto is eventually partnered with Neji to fight at the final stage of the Exams. However, Naruto feels unsure and discouraged about facing Neji. On his way to the match, he runs into Hinata at the training grounds, where he revealed his doubts to her. However, Hinata admits that she admires Naruto because he is able to keep trying despite his imperfections and difficulties. Hinata's words cause Naruto to cheer up and regain his confidence. Before Naruto leaves, he tells Hinata that he once thought she was weird and plain-looking, causing Hinata to sulk. But he continues, saying that he actually really liked people like her, much to Hinata's delight.
During Naruto's fight against Neji in the finals, Hinata is seen rooting for Naruto, but due to having not yet recovered from her fight with Neji, she faints and misses the rest of the fight. After Neji talks about his personal life, Naruto stands up for Hinata by saying that he's not the only one who is special, and that Hinata suffered as much as he did. After winning the match, in his head Naruto wonders where Hinata was and if she was watching.
Sasuke Recovery Mission Arc
Hinata is shown watching Naruto as he leaves the village, silently vowing to become stronger as he has.
Tenchi Bridge Reconnaissance Mission Arc
Hinata, not having seen Naruto in two and a half years, hides behind a fence upon first seeing Naruto. Realizing Hinata's location, Naruto greets her, causing her to faint.
Itachi Pursuit Mission Arc
When news reaches Konoha that Sasuke Uchiha killed Orochimaru, Team 8 is sent on a mission alongside Team 7 to find Itachi Uchiha and then Sasuke. Kakashi Hatake summons his ninken and divides the team into groups. Hinata is put in Naruto's group and, blushing, says, "Let's work together Naruto-kun."
Naruto and Hinata are approached by Kabuto Yakushi, who explains that he wanted to see Naruto. Seeing Kabuto, Hinata asks what he wants with Naruto. Kabuto reveals that he wanted to give Naruto a book containing Orochimaru's information on the Akatsuki.
Fated Battle Between Brothers
Later, the team regroups and Kiba is able to find Sasuke's trail. On their way to Sasuke's location, a worried Hinata warns Naruto, trying to tell him that there is someone around. They then come across Tobi, who stops them from going farther towards Sasuke's area. A battle ensues, and Naruto is knocked into a pond. Hinata is shown to be worried and then relieved after seeing Naruto stand.
Pain's Assault Arc
After realizing Naruto was fighting the Akatsuki's leader, Pain, alone, Hinata attempts to aid him in his battle. However, she is halted by Kō, who tells her that she will only be a burden to Naruto. Hinata seemingly accepts his words, but after Naruto is pierced to the ground by Pain, Hinata immediately rushes to his side, despite knowing the grim odds. Naruto pleads with Hinata, telling her to flee for the sake of her own life, but Hinata refuses. She tells him that she is unafraid of death; If it is to protect him, she has no worry. She then finally confesses her love to him, which shocks Naruto. Hinata proceeds to attack Pain, but is easily defeated before being pierced by one of his rods. After seeing Hinata get stabbed, Naruto becomes enraged and transforms into the Kyubi, growing six tails and later nine.
Afterwards, Naruto regains his consciousness and stares at the destroyed Hidden Leaf. After being informed of the situation, Naruto sees the area that he destroyed while possessed by the Nine-Tails. A horrified Naruto then remembers Hinata and wonders if he killed her and the villagers. In his worry, Naruto tightly clutches at his chest, but is able to then sense her chakra. Katsuyu notifies him that no villagers had been harmed and, shedding tears of relief, Naruto repeatedly mutters "Thank God". Hinata is shown being healed by Sakura, who notes her feelings for Naruto.
When Naruto informs the Great Toad Sage of all the times he had let the Kyubi take over his body, he mentions that when he saw Hinata get stabbed by Pain he became so full of rage, he allowed the Nine-Tails to take over his body without thinking.
Fourth Shinobi World War: Confrontation Arc
When Hinata attacks three White Zetsus, Naruto appears and protects her from them. Hinata is surprised at his appearance, but Naruto only asks if she is alright. The two fight more, with Naruto defeating several more White Zetsus until Neji appears. He shows distrust, showing suspicion to whether Naruto was a Zetsu Clone or the real thing. However, Hinata tells her cousin that she is able to tell it is Naruto by looking into his eyes.
When Hinata becomes distressed, Naruto, being able to sense her negative feelings, reminds her that she is strong, remembering her bravery when fighting Pain and mentions being able to see everything in her eyes.
When Naruto has a conversation with the Kyubi about the hatred of an entire war and Sasuke, Naruto remembers him and Sasuke in their academy days. Naruto thinks of the time he and Sasuke were set to spar with each other in the Academy. Hinata is shown cheering for Naruto, but her voice is drowned out by the other girls cheering for Sasuke.
After being informed by Inoichi from headquarters that Naruto and Killer B were fighting the "masked Madara", Hinata and the rest of the Konoha 11 rushed to his aid. As she ran alongside Neji, she thought of Naruto and asked him to wait for her, and that instead of running after him, she'd be walking with him, hand-in-hand, once the war had ended.
Fourth Shinobi World War: Climax Arc
After arriving at the battlefield to assist in the fight against the Ten-Tails, Hinata immediately asks Naruto if he is alright. As Naruto shouts to everyone in acknowledgement of their arrival, Kiba smiles and yells to Naruto, saying he shouldn't act tough just because of Hinata's presence.
When the Hyuga clan arrives at the battlefield, the entire clan firmly states they will protect Naruto. When Hinata stands with Neji and declares to Naruto that they will protect him, Naruto shouts her name in surprise.
During one of the Ten-Tail's attacks, it sends thousands of sharp spikes careening through the air and onto the ground. One of these attacks heads towards Naruto and Hinata steps in front of him with the intention of being struck instead, willing to risk and sacrifice her life for his own. However, Neji instead is hit when he throws himself in front of Hinata, causing extreme damage to his body. His life quickly fading, Neji tells Naruto that his life is not his own anymore, but everyone's, as all of the shinobi were willing to sacrifice their lives for his. After Neji's death, Obito taunts Naruto, mocking his resolve, pointing out how he said he wouldn't let any of his friends die. Obito offers Naruto a hand, persuading him to lose hope, but Naruto is stopped by Hinata, who slaps him across the face, reminding him of Neji's words. Hinata reiterates to Naruto their shared nindo of never going back on their word. Regaining himself, Naruto thanks Hinata for being by his side, takes her hand, and transfers chakra to her and the rest of the Allied Forces.
After receiving the chakra from Naruto, Hinata deflects one of the Ten-Tails' attacks with her 8 trigrams 64 palms. As Naruto, Hinata, and Lee as well as the rest of the Allied Forces charge at Madara and Obito, Naruto attempts to throw his Rasenshuriken, but finds that his arm is still dislocated. Hinata quickly uses her Gentle Palm to relocate Naruto's shoulder, allowing him to throw his attack at Obito.
Later during the battle, as Hinata fights some of the Ten-Tails spawns, she nearly fails to complete her combo. However, she has a flashback, and it was revealed that Naruto was smiling at her during the time they were holding hands. After the flashback, she says to herself that she wants to be by Naruto's side forever, and that she has figured the trick in connecting her attack and successfully completes her 64 palm combo.
As Naruto charges ahead into the battlefield, Hinata stays behind with the troops and is seen watching him with her Byakugan. At one point, Sakura asks Hinata about Sasuke and Naruto to which the Hyuga calmly replies that the two were, "smiling".
Birth of the Ten-Tails' Jinchūriki
After the attack of the God Tree had calmed, Naruto's memories and emotions are transferred into the troops. Hinata is then shown to sympathize with him by muttering his name. When everyone talks of wanting to be by Naruto's side, Hinata notes to herself that she must also work hard, for she wants the same.
Sensing Naruto's presence as he is brought by Gaara, Hinata quickly turns around in curiosity. Assured by Kiba that Naruto is near by, she quickly activates her Byakugan and notices his slow heartbeat. Scared at the thought of Naruto dying, she rushes to his side. However, she trips. Clenching to herself, out of exhaustion, she prays for Neji to protect Naruto.
As the Infinite Tsukuyomi genjutsu begins, Hinata is one of the many caught. Stating that she can no longer move, she mentally calls out Naruto's name as she descends into the genjutsu. When she is finally caught within her dream, Neji and Hanabi are shown spying on both her and Naruto while they seemingly are together as a happy couple.
Kaguya Ōtsutsuki Strikes
Hinata and everyone else was then released by Naruto and Sasuke from the Infinite Tsukuyomi.
Later, at Konoha, a memorial service is held for Neji. Naruto and Hinata attend Neji's feneral and they can be seen standing near each other.
The Last: Naruto the Movie
Naruto and Hinata are the main characters of the movie and it is a love story between them. Unlike the other Naruto movies, this movie is explicitly canon and not filler.
Years after the Fourth Shinobi World War, the Five Great Shinobi Countries have come to peace. Naruto and Hinata were later married and have a son and a daughter named as Boruto Uzumaki and Himawari Uzumaki, respectively. Hinata can be seen visiting Neji's grave with her daughter while Naruto lectures his son for doing pranks.
- Revealed when Hinata was introduced, she was shown to have feelings for Naruto.
- It is confirmed in Hinata's childhood, she was the only person who acknowledged Naruto and admired him.
- During the Chunin exams, Naruto and Hinata cheered for each other.
- Before his fight against Neji, Naruto tells Hinata that he likes people like her.
- Naruto has shown to care for Hinata and worry about her well being in many occasions.
- Naruto and Hinata have confessed to each other.
- Hinata confesses her feelings to Naruto before getting stabbed by Pain, which caused Naruto to go on rampage.
- Naruto confesses to Hinata before she "rejects" him and goes with Toneri.
- Almost at the end of the movie, Naruto reminds Hinata of the lesson in their academy days about writing the name of the person they want to be with if the world was going to end and he confesses that he wants to be with her and wants to spend all and every single one of his days with her.
- Both Naruto and Hinata mentioned that they could see the truth through each other's eyes.
- Naruto holds Hinata's hand after she encourages him to continue to fight the Juubi and thanked her for always being by his side.
- Naruto and Hinata have kissed each other.
- It is shown that Naruto and Hinata have been dating.
- In a manga-omake titled, "After the Last", Naruto reads Sai's book about proper human interaction and he learns that men are supposed to pay everything on a date. During his date with Hinata, Naruto takes Hinata to a restaurant and he was shocked that the food of the restaurant is very expensive. Hinata then uses her byakugan and looks inside Naruto's wallet. Seeing that he doesn't have much money, Hinata asks if they can eat at Ramen Ichiraku instead, which Naruto agrees to.
- It is revealed that after Naruto and Hinata married, they have a son named Boruto Uzumaki and a daughter named Himawari Uzumaki.
Hinata's confession to Naruto - Chapter 437:
- " I used to always cry and give up...I made many wrong turns...But you...You helped me find the right path. I always chased after you...I wanted to catch up to you...I wanted to walk beside you all the time. I just wanted to be with you...You changed me! Your smile is what saved me! That is why I am not afraid to die protecting you!! Because...I love you..."
Naruto's confession to Hinata - The Last: Naruto the Movie:
- "I am not being kind because I love you or anything. You just worried about Hanabi. --- Hinata I...I love you."
Naruto to Hinata - The Last: Naruto the Movie:
- "Hinata...Do you remember that lesson in class? The one with, “If the end of the world came, who would you spend your last day with?” I wrote no name because I didn't know my parents, and I had no friends. But now I can clearly say it. I want to be with you. From now on, I want to spend all and every single one of my days until I die with you, and only you, Hinata!"
Naruto's First Impression about Hinata - chapter 39:
- "Hyuga Hinata; A weirdo who always looks away when I look at her. A shy and dark girl."
Hinata about Naruto - Chapter 76:
- "You're wrong Kiba-kun...Naruto-kun is not that weak. Unlike me, Naruto-kun always believed in his self-worth. I really thought that was incredible because I understand how difficult that is. Yet nobody would even look at Naruto...Nobody even tried to acknowledge him...but...right now everyone is watching you...Everyone is acknowledging you..."
Hinata's thoughts about Naruto while fighting Neji - Chapter 80:
- "Naruto-kun...I have always been watching. I've always been for all these years. Why is that..? I don't know why, but...When I look at Naruto-kun...I feel courage. I feel like that if I try my best...Even I can do it. That I am worth something. That's how I begin to feel. Naruto-kun...In the past, I was the only one looking. But right now...You are...He's finally watching me...In front of the person I admire so much...I can't look bad."
Naruto to Neji (Blood Vow):
- "Hinata.. I promise you. You [Neji]...are going down!!"
Naruto to Hinata - Chapter 98:
- "Thanks Hinata! Earlier, I was feeling uncharacteristically depressed, but now I feel great!!...You know about you...I always though that you were just a plain looking, dark weirdo...But a person like you...I really like!"
Hinata about Naruto - Chapter 573:
- "Naruto-kun. I've always...always chased after you. Even now...But once this war ends, I'm going to stop once and for all. Next time, I'll be next to you, holding your hand...Walking with you! Wait for me!"
Kiba teasing Naruto - Chapter 611:
- "Don't act tough just because Hinata is here, Naruto!"
Hinata to Naruto about Neji's sacrifice - Chapter 615:
- "Neji just said that your life is not your own anymore...Do you understand what he meant? Your words and desires to not let your comrades die...Neither of them are lies! What inspired Neji and carried him this far were those very principles! It's not just you, Naruto. We all hold those very same words and feelings within our hearts. They are what bings our lifes together and makes us comrades. If we all give up and discard those words and feelings now, Neji's sacrifice will have been for nothing. And therefore...Stand up together with me, Naruto...Because never going back on one's word...Is my ninja way too!"
Hinata's thoughts while holding hands with Naruto - Chapter 615:
- "Naruto-kun's hand...is so big...so manly...But most importantly...It makes me feel...safe."
Hinata tells Naruto how much she admires him - Chapter 98:
- "In my eyes you are a proud failure! When I look at you, I get an intense feeling in my heart. Because you are not perfect.. Because you fail...You have the strength to get back up...I believe that's what true strength is."
Hinata thinking about the promise she made to Neji:
- "Naruto-kun's heart beat is.. extremely weak! Naruto-kun...Brother asked me to protect you!"
Sakura realizing Hinata's love for Naruto:
- "You must really do love Naruto.."
Naruto about Hinata - Chapter 80:
- "I never knew...That Hinata was this incredible."
Sakura to Naruto about Hinata - Chapter 80:
- "Oh yeah. She was always watching you."
Hinata to Naruto - Chapter 80:
- "Naruto-kun...was...I able...to change a little...?"
Naruto to Hinata about Neji - Chapter 78:
- "You can change yourself!! Kick that bastard's ass, Hinata!!"
Sakura to Naruto about Hinata - Naruto the Movie: The Last:
- "I never thought you'd confess your love first. Remember long ago when you said you loved me? It's real this time isn't it. Hinata is a great person, almost too good for you. And it's obvious she had a reason she couldn't reveal because when a girl truly falls in love, her feelings don't change that easily. They can't change. I understand how she feels very well."
Naruto about Hinata - The Last: Naruto the Movie:
- "Hinata... This big idiot finally understands. The meaning of the scarf you gave me when you went to Toneri. I know now, from the scarf you painstakingly knitted and took so long to finish, that your love can't be unraveled so easily. Wait for me. You've loved someone like me forever and ever. Now, as a man, there's something I've got to say to you. Hinata. I swear I'll save you."
Databook 1 (Hinata Hyuga's Profile):
- "Hinata is in love with Naruto, but regardless, she can't take a step forward. However, she's able to pluck up her own brand of courage sometimes, as proved by that "attack" of hers. Because that's her ninja way...! She can't even look Naruto in the eyes as she hands him the ointment to treat the injuries he's received during the Chuunin exam, but she's put all her strength into this...!"
- "There's a definite reason behind Hinata's passion for Naruto. She wants "to become like him". Shackled by the strict laws of the Hyuuga clan, and further weakened by her inferiority complex towards her younger sister, Hinata is always seeking strength and power."
- "Hinata is never assertive about anything, something she tends to hate about herself. When she was fighting Neji, no matter how many times she was struck down, she would think of Naruto and stand up...! Hinata admires and esteems Naruto. But he is totally clueless about those feelings."
- "The one she admires taught her about the courage to stand up!!"
- "Naruto is throwing taunts at Neji. Hinata is able to draw courage from his cheering...A scene where she even fights on par with the great Neji. The blood of the Hyuuga also flows is Hinata's veins! But she yields before Neji's Juuken, and gets wounded and beaten down several times over...Earnest feelings are stronger than any weapon..."
Databook 2 (Hinata Hyuga's Profile):
- "Hinata passively gave in to everything, but with the support of Naruto's cheering, she had a fierce battle with Neji, and matured greatly. There is still a lot of her that is not sufficient as the child of the Hyuuga Main House, but indomitable strength is added to her original pure heart, and little by little, but steadily, Hinata progresses ahead...She wishes that she could move even one step closer towards the back of Naruto..."
Databook 3 (Hinata Hyuga's Profile):
- "Her objective, is the one who in spite of the state of things got strong and changed her, separated from her somewhere in Earth making the effort to train, the person she yearns for. Naruto is the one who gave Hinata such things as "potentiality" and "self-confidence". That Naruto who's come back after 3 years approximately. Hinata's potentiality will surely show how it's spread further."
- "Ironically, Hinata's timidness reaches its peak in front of Naruto, the one who changed her."
Databook 4 (Hinata Hyuga's Profile):
- "The pure white lily whose feelings of love reach towards the future in place of her resolve!!"
- "With the beginning of the Fourth Great Shinobi War, she no longer trembles. Her precious person is there and she wants to walk together with him."
- "Hinata has always loved Naruto since her childhood. She was shy about meeting him, so she would often watch him from a hiding place."
- "She was introverted and withdrawn during her academy days. With all her might, she cheers for Naruto in a small voice."
Among The Fans
NaruHina is one of the most popular couple among the fans, rivaled by NaruSaku. It's likely supported because of the evidence given in the anime/manga as well as the fact that Hinata is in love with Naruto, and how Naruto has shown that he does care about her. It's usually a companion to SasuSaku. With its canonization as well as the The Last: Naruto the Movie, NaruHina has became even more popular in Japan with Naruto and Hinata being featured in non-Naruto material, with some people calling it a new 'power couple'. Its rival pairings are NaruSaku, NejiHina, and KibaHina.
- NaruHina Fan Club on Deviantart: http://naruhina--fanclub.deviantart.com/
- NaruHina Group on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNHgroup