Chūnin Exam Arc
Before the chunnin exams started, it is reveiled that Lee liked Sakura, as he asked her to be his girlfriend. Repulsed by his looks and taste in clothing, she adamantly declined.
When they met again later in the Forest of Death, he attempted to save her from the Sound Ninja. When she asked why, as they were supposed to be against each other, he said it was because he'd vowed to protect her until he died, which is what he had told her when he'd asked her to be his girlfriend. This caused her to have a new respect for him.
After the fight ends, when Naruto wakes up and called Lee; fuzzy eyebrows, Sakura punch Naruto for being rude to Lee. Sakura then thank Lee for awaken her during his battle with the Sound Ninja. She said that it is thanks to him that she has become a little stronger. Lee feels very happy after hearing it and commented that he needs more hardwork to be stronger. After admitting to Sasuke that the Uchiha are great, Lee tells Sakura that the leaf lotus will blooms twice and promises that the next time they meet, he will be a stronger person to which Sakura agrees and smile.
Sakura's respect towards Lee grew as she watched him fight Gaara in the preliminary matches. After Lee is defeated, Sakura wanted to comfort him but she was stopped by Kakashi. Lee was then brought to the hospital due to his injuries.
After the preliminary exam and in the meantime before the finals, Sakura goes to the Yamanaka's Flower Shop to buy flowers. After Sakura and Ino fights about their flowers and love, Sakura decided to buys two daffodil; one for Sasuke and one for Lee. Ino then told Sakura about Lee condition that even if he recovered, his injuries would prevent him from ever being able to be a shinobi again, which had shocked Sakura after hearing it. At the hospital, Sakura is shown worried about Lee when she and Ino saw him nevertheless tried to train, which have only worsened his condition. When Lee tripped, Sakura and Ino rushed towards him. Seeing Lee is trying so hard, Sakura then cried and asked Ino why boys try so hard. Later, when Lee wakes up on the hospital bed, he saw a daffodil was put in the vase on the table; making him wondered who came to visit him. Sakura then visit Lee a few times and brought him a flower and then another when that one wilts.
During the finals, when Sasuke arrive in the final, everyone in the stadium is exited, including Lee and Sakura. Sakura is seemed happy when she noticed Lee arrive at the stadium to watch the finals.
Sasuke Recovery Mission Arc
When the Sasuke Retrieval Team left to retrieve Sasuke who left the village, Lee comfort the crying Sakura, saying that Naruto will keep his promise and everything will be alright.
Kazekage Rescue Mission Arc
It is revealed that Lee's crush remains on Sakura. In their mission of the kazekage rescue, when Team Guy was fighting their clones, it was revealed that Lee thought of Sakura and how strong she has now become and finally realized the secret to defeating their clones.
Fourth Shinobi World War: Confrontation Arc
Lee and Sakura are both in the same division: the Third Division. They are shown talking and near each other. Lee is then seen along with the Third Division clashing against the reincarnated ninja. Upon Kakashi's orders, they group into a Manji Formation, Lee promises that no matter what he will protect Sakura even if it costs him his life; she however tells him to also be careful.
Birth of the Ten-Tails' Jinchūriki Arc
- When Lee is first introduced, it is revealed that Lee likes Sakura and ask her to be his girlfriend.
- Lee saves Sakura from the Sound Ninja in the Forest of Death.
- Though Sakura initially is repulsed by him, she gains respect for him later in the series, as she starts addressing him as "Lee-san".
- Sakura cheers for Lee during the Chuunin preliminaries, showing her support.
- When Lee is hospitalized, Sakura brings him a flower and then another when that one wilts.
Rock Lee to Sakura - Chapter 36:
- "Sakura, please go out with me! I'll protect you with my life!"
Sakura to Rock Lee - Chapter 57:
- "Lee-san.. thank you. Thanks to you I've awakened, I feel like I've become a little stronger."
Rock Lee to Sakura - Chapter 57:
- "The lotus of Konoha blooms twice... the next time we meet I will be a stronger man"
Rock Lee to Sakura - Chapter 522:
- " There's nothing to be afraid of ! I'll protect you even if it costs me my life,Sakura-san! "
Among the Fans
- In Shōnen Jump's 'Naruto Anime Profiles Episodes 1-37', Masashi Kishimoto has stated that Sakura Haruno and Rock Lee were meant to symbolize human weakness, at least in the beginning.